• It’s a process that any vendor or manufacturer deals with.
• But there’s a difference between doing something, and handling it well. By effectively executing proper material handling, a company can insure better safety for goods and workers, decrease time spent handling products, increase workflow and efficiency and ultimately, save a lot of time and money.
• Material Truth be told, the explanation is in the name itself. Material handling is the moment storage, control and protection of goods and products (or materials) as they go through the process of manufacturing and distribution.
• handling requires a system of order. Like an engine that runs of gears, belts and piston, the “material handling machine” has its own parts and pieces needed to keep it running.
• What type of equipment you need depends on what type of material handling you are dealing with. There are automated material handling systems that run on conveyor belts, lifts and even robotics then there is more traditional equipment such as forklifts, pallets, duckboats, yard ramps etc.
• Whatever you see, it’s important that everything is up to specific and that proper safety standards are followed. When poorly done, material handling can be dangerous field.
• Material handling equipment is used to increase the output, control costs and maximize the productivity. There are several ways to determine if the material handling equipment is achieving peak efficiency. These include capturing all relevant data related to warehouses operations, measuring how many times an item is touched from the time it is ordered until it leaves the building, making sure you are using proper picking technology and keeping system downtime to minimum.
Material handling and Logistics as defined by the material handling industry of America is the moment, protection, storage and control of materials and products throughout the process of manufacture and distribution consumption and disposal.Safe, efficient storage of materials is a necessity in any industry and advance in storage and handling of hand in hand with other important material handling concepts in the World War II era with the design of the first universal pallets during the war, and, consequently the creation of the predictable unitized load, came standard forklift trucks and storage racks to replace the shelving. The material handling institute of America that even today the US department of commerce classifies racks as metal furniture because they replaced the metal shelving as a storage device.In the early decades of the twentieth century, many businesses made the switch from wooden storage containers those incorporating steel and adjustable steel shelving began to come forefront. Today shelving has progressed far behind its wooden origin to encompass wide span shelving, rivet rack shelving and a host of the other option tailored for end users’ distinct needs.