Students Kit.doc (Size: 47.5 KB / Downloads: 1358)
Development of a practical Time table generation system for a college.doc (Size: 59.5 KB / Downloads: 1706)
Title of the project
Development of a feature rich, practical Time table generation system for a college.
Abstract of the project
This project is aimed at developing a Time Table Generator for Colleges. Colleges are supposed to make time tables for each semester which used to be a very tedious and pain staking job. Each teacher and Student is eligible for viewing his own timetable once they are finalized for a given semester but they canâ„¢t edit them.
Generic Technology keywords
Databases, Network and middleware, Programming
Specific Technology keywords
MS-SQL server, HTML, Active Server Pages
UNIX, Shell, C, Oracle
Project type keywords
Analysis, Design, Implementation, Testing, User Interface
Functional components of the project
Following is a list of functionalities of the system. More functionality that you find appropriate can be added to this list. And, in places w re the description of functionality is not adequate; you can make appropriate assumptions and proceed.
1. For every branch and year the following rules are applied:
Â¢ It can have classes each have interval of 1 Hour.
Â¢ Maximum of 5 lectures in a day.
Â¢ Time for practicals and things should be there.
Â¢ Subjects can be of any of the following categories:
Â¢ Maximum & maximum number of subjects should be specified.
2. A given teacher has following characteristics.
Â¢ Should be able to teach some of the subjects.
Â¢ Could be restricted to not more than certain number of classes in a day.
Â¢ Could choose that didnâ„¢t want to teach certain classes as well.
Â¢ May select that willing to teach.
Â¢ These are set by administrators only.
3. A student can select certain subjects from the categories mentioned in the .point 1 and a confirmation mail will be send back to the student. Subjects should be chosen within the limited period of time else random subjects will be allotted.
4. Email should be sent to all the persons concerned with a given class (teacher and students that timetable is sc duled.
5. A calendar should be there shows the public and nation holidays.
6. The time table will be generated accordingly and then corresponding persons will be informed.
Steps to start-off the project
T re are couples of alternatives to implement such a system.
A. Microsoft platform: the system is developed using Active Server Pages as the
Front end and SQL Server as the back end.
B. Unix-based platform: HTML or even Shell scripting, C programming, any
Relational database (e.g. Postgress or Oracle or even flat files), and tools in
The following steps will be helpful to start off the project.
1. Study and be comfortable with technologies such as
a. Active Server Pages/HTML and SQL server.
b. UNIX commands, Shell programming, C Programming, Tools like AWK etc.
Some links to the se technologies are given in the ËœGuidelines and Referencesâ„¢
Section of this document
2. Decide on a Time table policy and other related aspects.
3. Make a database of people whosoever login. Decide on the various details of the people that would be stored in the database (like name, age group, address, location, system-login, password in cryptic form, etc).
4. Create the front-page of the Time table system giving a brief description about the system and a login box.
5. Create the help-pages of the system in the form of Q&A. This will help you also w n implementing the system.
6. Create other sub-systems like automatic notification, screens for various functions (like selecting a course, cancelling the selection etc)